Sunday, January 29, 2012

We Must Get Taller As We Get Older

Remember mom standing you up against the kitchen door jam?  She would put a pencil mark at the top of your head and compare how much you grew since the last mark.  You wanted to grow taller than mom or any one else you could compare with.

Someone once said that after a while we start to shrink with age.  My brother, Warren, said even one leg could be shorter than the other, depending upon which hip you had replaced.  I suppose we could debate  that. 

Well, I have come to the conclusion that we really grow taller as we get older.  It may have something to do with the elasticity of the woods, or even the shriveling of the earth’s surface which caused the hills to grow. 

I have noticed that when bending over to put on my boots on an early hunting morning, my hands are farther away from my feet each year.  When I was sixteen, I had no problem reaching my feet to put on my boots, but recently my arms are either shorter or my legs are longer, so obviously I am growing taller from one end or the other.

Come to think of it, if this continues, I’ll have to bend over carefully to keep from bumping my forehead on the door to the Pearly Gates.  Naw, I’m sure he’ll have someone watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment