Monday, January 2, 2012

The Hurrier I Go, The Behinder I Get


I must admit that this old saying was pilfered from an ancient Dutch or German philosopher much wiser than I.  It can probably be more easily related to the pace of our current social existence as almost any other---EXCEPT---the favorite expression of an old friend who had the challenging job of installing aircraft instruments into spaces invariably inadequate in size or capacity.  Upon undertaking an installation, he would commonly be heard muttering that it was like….”PUTTING TEN POUNDS OF POOP INTO A FIVE POUND BAG”

Whenever one becomes frustrated over the ability to cope with all of the responsibilities and distractions of life, we should remember that, like the old friend, the instruments usually ended up installed and operational.  Even though the challenges appear to be insurmountable, the pile-often referred to as the “to do list”- eventually goes down and sanity reappears.

While talking to a neighbor about about comparable to do lists, I facetiously remarked that I was waiting for a strong East wind.  That failing, I would tackle the leaves, which were number 14 on the list, unless they are covered by a foot of snow.

But first, Deer Hunting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment