Saturday, March 5, 2022

JUST DO IT






If you don't try it, you'll never know if you can do it.  I think that was Dolores’ personal motto in life as she encouraged most of the young members of our family to venture into the unknown future.  A favorite t-shirt simply said “JUST DO IT”.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Many years ago we ventured into the world of BOWLING, starting with couples league at church, and progressing to three and five men and ladies leagues.  I lasted many years until a couple of “nozdives” limited motion in my right shoulder.  Dolores, however, continued on in her favorite sport.

Some time ago I came upon three medals Dolores won while participating in the Wisconsin Senior Olympics. At the urging of my son and I, she reluctantly posed for a snapshot, without further explanation. 

While looking through a desk drawer, I recently came upon an envelope which held five gold, one silver and one bronze medal, all won in bowling competition at the Senior Olympics in the 2010 to 2016 period. We were aware that she partook in many such ventures, but she would not publicize such accomplishments.

This reminded us of her idea of a birthday party for the kids… Call and reserve six alleys at the local bowling establishment, fit the gang with balls and shoes, and let them all have at it…IF YOU DON’T TRY, YOU’LL NEVER KNOW IF YOU CAN.  She was a MASTER AT INSPIRATION.

I also found several cards inserted in various handbags and purses containing reminder mottos like:

     A WOMAN IS HELPLESS ONLY WHEN HER NAIL POLISH IS  DRYING

     THE WORLD IS A BOOK AND THOSE WHO DO NOT TRAVEL READ ONLY ONE PAGE

     IF YOU OBEY ALL THE RULES, YOU MISS ALL THE FUN

'Nuff said..........



     

3 comments:

  1. thanks earl i never spent enough time there to know a lot about the family it has always bothered me but when i see the things
    you post i get a little closer

    ReplyDelete
  2. that comment is from me in the land of the big water to the east

    ReplyDelete
  3. RE: Rule #1
    That's exactly why I no longer polish my finger nails!

    ReplyDelete