Wednesday, July 3, 2013

To Do List Too Long

There was a day when the TO DO list merely delayed doing the things I really wanted  to do.  Now it "PREVENTS" doing the things I really want to do.  Which leads me to the conclusion that either the list is too long or I am not as fast as I once was.

Upon cursory review, the list appears to be the same length as before, with a few tasks added from acquisitions, so I decided to review the efficiency factor.  Could it be that old speedy is not so speedy anymore?  Have the good old sayings on tee shirts, such as "I'm not over the hill, I'm just gaining speed" or "What hill?  I don't remember any hill", been relegated to tee shirts only, rather than actual fact?  It is conceivable that we all may slow down after a while, but I think the real culprit is the "LIST".  The list has quietly expanded along with the earthly possessions responsible for its existence.

My initial realization is that the length of the list has expanded to a greater degree than originally thought.  The exponential factor has a  great effect upon the list, since, it appears, TO DO items propagate excessively in proportion to the number of toys accumulated over time.

I recall reading an old seafaring novel wherein the main character spent over a year preparing his worthy craft for venture.  It is conceivable that, had he acquired several worthy craft over the years, he may never had  been able to "cast off".  Therein lies the solution to my riddle.  Too many worthy craft, and perhaps I'm no longer as fast as the tee shirts profess.

I, of course being a died in the wool old naturalist, would find it excruciating to kick out the old family dog even if I had one, but I admit it may be both prudent and expedient to start preparing another "LIST".  I think I'll head out to the shed and contemplate a "KICK OUT THE OLD TOY LIST".


No comments:

Post a Comment